Increasingly they apply to me with a request to audit the site for the feasibility of current, possible and unforeseen expenses in the future.
In this article, I will describe what you should pay attention to not become a "cash cow" for unscrupulous developer executors and not stay, as they say "without pants." Most often this applies to those who do not have sufficient experience in the IT field.
In the process of verification, it is often found that the site is not owned by the contract to the Customer, despite the fact that the development is paid in full - copyrights remain with the Contractor with a complete ban, something to change in the site code in the future. Considerable monthly payments turn out to be rent of the developed site, under the guise of the phrase "Site Support". To the question - What kind of site support is provided, a clear answer or estimate of work, as a rule, the Contractor can not get. Often in the process of verification, it turns out that the domain also does not belong to the Customer and is executed by the Contractor.
Not all Clients understand the terminology used in the contracts, sometimes they just hesitate to clarify items that are not understandable to them, so in due course I will supplement the article with information, including the moments on which it is worth paying attention and discussing them with the Contractor "On the shore".
What should I look for when ordering a website?
1. REAL EVALUATION OF COSTS:
The site should pay off and bring in revenue. Investing in the development of the site, do not forget to plan the budget for its promotion and further support. (If, under the support of the site, to understand the stable periodic content of the site, including search and preparation of new information, advertising campaigns to promote the site, the support costs can be much higher than for development.)
Refusal to develop a technical assignment often leads to "Pay twice for the service."
2. FORMATION OF THE RIGHT CONCEPT:
3 main questions will help you to form a vision of the final result and get in the end what you need:
1. Why do you need a website? To determine the business model of the future site, you need to clearly present the goal and the main tasks: it can be profit from the placement of advertising on the site, information about services, goods or activities, Internet sales, registration, training or something else.
2. The target audience of your site? It is important to determine at the initial stage which parameters of users you are interested in, for example: Age, gender, activity, social status, skin color, hobby, marital status and everything that will help determine the portrait of your potential client or partner.
3. What will attract visitors to your site? The main differences from competitors are what your site can attract visitors and what will make it more visited and useful. It can be more thoughtful and convenient functionality, useful services, design, author information, detailed description of exclusive services and more.
3. PRESENTATION OF REAL TIMES:
According to statistics, about 75% of all IT projects either take longer than planned, or fail. Often this leads to additional, and often double, costs.
When planning any Internet project, you need to remember that 25% of the time should be insurance. Because it will always be needed!
It is necessary to consider such moments as:
Lack of staff.
Delays in the coordination of intermediate layouts, stages of work.
- Lack of ready-made material for content filling.
- Bugs that unexpectedly get out at the end of the project development.
- Lack of a clear plan for the Tasks, etc.
- Example (the period for creating a corporate website is 10-15 pages):
Work on the project site and TK: 12 days.
- Content preparation: 14-29 days.
- Development of outline: 11-18 days.
- Development of layouts of all pages of the site: 9-15 days.
- Layout and programming: 7 days.
- Filling and testing the site. Publication: 4-5 days.
Total: The minimum development period is 57 days, the maximum - 86 days.
4. EXPECTED EXTERNAL SITE TYPE AND ITS FILLING:
The site should be easy to read and look good in any conditions and from any device (be adaptive) without unnecessary design solutions.
Anyone your potential client should quickly navigate the site, send orders, register for events, find the latest information.
Not unimportant role is played in detail the structure of the site detailed in the technical task - links, sections, blocks, pages, menus, modules describing the connection between sections of the site and services. For example, the "News" section can have a short (announcement) and a full (article) version, and consist of several subsections in the form: "Company news", "Industry news", "News archive".
5. Suitable site management system (CMS):
One of the important decisions that you need to take is the choice of a site management system (CMS)
CMS is the "engine" of the site. The presence of CMS affects the cost of developing and owning an Internet project. The right choice will save you tens, if not hundreds of thousands of rubles. However, it is not easy to make a choice among hundreds of platforms. By choosing a limited CMS, without the ability to create new sections, you will be forced to pay the Developer for adding new types of materials to the site.
Having chosen a very complex CMS, you will encounter problems in learning the rules of working with this program. Choosing a licensed CMS you will pay monthly for its use. If you refuse completely from CMS and do not have the experience of a web developer, you will pay for any change on your website, whether it's text or appearance.
Webmasters prefer familiar programs (which does not always mean the most useful option for business), and here it makes sense to get advice from several developers or decide on the choice of the system for the project.
- By type of license CMS are divided into commercial and freely distributed. Commercial ones were created by entrepreneurs to extract profit from sales and / or technical support, and freely distributed (SR, Open Source) are the results of works by enthusiastic developers, which have become a "common" solution thanks to an open code and a community of professionals that from time to time this code Improve. The advantage of commercial CMS in guarantees is always a developer, to which you can apply or make claims. Freely distributed systems are different in that their core is free (but do not forget about the cost of support). At the same time, Freely distributed systems are considered to be the least vulnerable for security reasons, due to their rapid updating and are well suited for large, developing and closed commercial projects.
The most popular SR systems in Russia are Drupal, Joomla, MODx, WordPress.
From commercial stand out 1C-Bitrix, NetCat, UMI.CMS, Host.CMS, Amiro.CMS, ABO.CMS and S.Builder.
The independent way to navigate in the site management system is to see which CMS is used on other sites for the same projects as yours.
6. SUPPORT OF THE SITE:
If you have a CMS connected to your site, you will not need constant support from the web developer. It is enough to read the instructions, or get a one-time consultation and you will be able to independently add material to the site, track visitors, etc. Depending on the type of functionality of your site. If you need to change the appearance of the site and web elements, add a non-standard material, update the core of the site. You can always contact the developer for a one-time service.
7. A LOW WEB SITE - EXPECTATIONS AND REALITY:
The cost of the site is 3000 - 5000 rubles, what in the end?
The site name is entered in the ready template.
Transfer such a site to an independent hosting, usually not possible for a number of reasons. For example, such sites are often collected on a free designer of a certain hosting with limited functionality and installed on the developer's hosting for a price more expensive than the average.
If you take a closer look at such proposals, you will find out what is included in this price. More precisely, you will find out that practically nothing is included in it.
Any additions will be paid as a result of the price of the site is higher than that of a number of decent studios. Moreover, the result will be lame, because the site is not created for you, not for your business and for solving its specific problems. It is simply created as an independent unit.
The principle of the work of companies offering sites for 5 thousand - is to hook the client at a low price and spin it into more money.
8. LITERATURE SEARCHING OPTIMIZATION AND PROMOTION OF THE SITE:
Optimization of the site begins with a competent page layout.
Common errors inhibit website promotion or what you should pay attention to add or make changes.
- Technical optimization of the website: Lack of site audit for indexing in search engines.
- Mirrors of the site: The correct definition by the search robot of the main mirror of the site (whether the mirrors are glued together with www and without www at the site, which mirror is the main one).
- Robots.txt: Missing or not configured. Robots.txt is a file in the root directory of the site containing instructions for search robots. In the robots.txt file, you can limit the indexing of pages that should not be included in the output of search engines (for example, duplicates or search pages on the site), as well as specify the main site mirror, page scanning speed, the path to the site map in xml format.
- Site map (sitemap.xml): As with robots.txt, the sitemap.xml file may or may not be valid.
- Duplicate pages: An equally important obstacle to promotion is the presence of pages with duplicate content.
- Selection of queries: From how correctly the selection of key phrases will be carried out, the effectiveness of promotion will largely depend on.
- Semantic core: Depending on the compiled semantic core, technical updates of the content take place and pages that will be promoted are selected.
- Text SEO-optimization of the site for search queries: The amount of text, density and even distribution of keywords on the page. Readability and informative text. At the same time, do not forget what you write not for search robots, but primarily for people.
- Page loading speed: The slow loading of the page negatively affects the attitude of both the user and the search engine to the site. The user can leave without waiting for the page to load, and the crawler can delete or pessimize the page.
- Meta tags on the page: The meta tag title plays an important role for the search robot - it takes into account it when determining the contents of pages. It is important that all pages have different (unique) names in accordance with their content.
- Meta tag Description: Contains a short description of the page (up to 200 characters). The content of the description tag can be used by search engines, especially in relation to Google. Write a description of a better length of 150-200 characters - it's 1-2 sentences. The text should be readable and complement the title (the title of the page), briefly describe the contents of the page and be unique in relation to other pages of the site.
- Tag Optimization: The ALT tag. This tag will allow you to optimize the images. In alt, you need to include text describing the image, it can include keywords - search engines take them into account when ranking sites. In addition, if the user in the browser is disabled showing images, he can see the signature to them. Tags H1- H6. Headers H1 is the second most important tag after the meta tag Title. It should include keywords, but in no case should it be just an enumeration. In tags H2-H6, paragraph headings containing key words can be enclosed. But at the moment, when ranking pages, search engines do not attach much importance to the content of these tags.
- Internal page linking: Allows you to redistribute the weight to promoted pages. In addition, when moving on low-frequency requests, and sometimes mid-frequency, internal linking helps to bring the site to the TOP without buying links.
It's not difficult to create the right site. It takes only an understanding of what you want to get and an experienced reliable executor who realizes your tasks at a high level.